2017/09/13

Improved Help Buttons

I've been using little purple "?" buttons to indicate that help is available for whatever's nearby:


Clicking on the button would bring up a dialog box:


But the default size for the dialog box was limited, so if the text of the help message was extensive, I had to break it up into a series of installments, and you had to keep clicking on "More" buttons until you finally got to the last one, when you could get back to work by clicking on "OK":


And you had to go thru them all, even if you'd learned everything you needed to know after the first 1 or 2. Furthermore, I was limited to only one font at one size and could only emphasize things by using ALL CAPS. And there was no way to include pictures to illustrate what I was trying to explain.

Enter the popover button. It looks the same as before:


But clicking on it opens a whole new style of window:


I've got control over the size and shape of the window as well as its contents. I can put into it not only formatted text but also graphics, data-entry fields, and buttons. I'll be gradually replacing all of the old help buttons with these versatile new ones.

Once you've learned what you need to know, simply close the popover window by clicking anywhere outside it.

No comments:

Post a Comment